Potatoes have been a popular staple in many cultures for centuries. They are known for being versatile and able to be transformed into an endless number of mouth-watering recipes. The microwave is the perfect solution when you don’t need to spend time heating your oven or are in a hurry. This article will discuss the art of microwaving potatoes and share delicious recipes that satisfy your cravings in no time.
The microwave is a great way to make potatoes. They come out fluffy and tender with a crisp exterior. It is perfect for those hectic days when you’re looking for a meal that will satisfy you without waiting. Here’s the secret to perfecting potatoes in the micro:
- Potatoes Yukon Golds or Russets are great for microwave baking due to their starchy consistency.
- Olive Oil or Butt: Use a small amount of olive oil or butter for a crisp skin.
- Sea Salt and Pepper The natural potato flavour is enhanced by a simple seasoning consisting of sea salt and black Pepper.
- The preparation: Scrub and dry the potatoes using blotting paper. With a fork, poke each potato a few times to allow the steam to escape.
- Seasoning: Lightly drizzle the potatoes with olive or butter, and sprinkle them lightly with salt. Add seasonings, such as herbs, garlic, or your favourite spices.
- Cooking in the Microwave: Placed the potatoes on a microwavable plate and microwaved them at high speed for 5-7 minutes per potato. Turning the potatoes midway through cooking will ensure an even temperature. The potato’s skin should become crispy, and its insides should remain tender.
- Relaxing: Let your potatoes rest a few moments after microwaving them. This allows for the potatoes to finish cooking and allow steam to escape.
Now that you understand the basics, we’ll explore some quick and delicious recipes using microwave-baked mashed potatoes.
1. Classic Loaded Baked Potato
This recipe allows you to make a baked potato in the microwave.
- 1 large russet potato
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped
- To taste: salt and Pepper
Following the instructions above, microwave the potatoes until they are tender.
- Divide the potato into two halves and fluff its insides using a fork.
- Top with cheddar cheese shredded and allow to melt.
- Add a little sour cream, and sprinkle the chopped chives.
- Season with salt or Pepper to taste.
2. Microwave Hash Browns
Enjoy crispy hash browns with this microwave version.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled.
- 14 cups finely minced onion
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable lubricant
- To taste: salt and Pepper
- Place the grated onion and potatoes in a bowl suitable for microwaves.
- Season with salt and Pepper and drizzle with oil.
- Toss the mixture, ensuring oil is evenly spread on the mixture.
- Microwave the hashbrowns on high for 3-4 minutes until they become golden and crispy. Stir them once throughout cooking.
Microwave baked potato dishes are a tasty and quick way to enjoy the comforting flavours of this versatile tuber without needing traditional baking in the oven. These recipes show the versatility of microwave cooking. You’ll be able to make classics like a loaded baked potato, crispy hashbrowns, and potato nachos within a fraction of the time.
Whether in a pinch or looking for a simple way to satisfy a potato craving, these recipes are sure to please. Remember that microwaving potatoes could be your answer the next time your time is limited or you want a delicious snack.